Friday, January 23, 2009

Nashville Voters Reject Official English

Tennessee, like Oklahoma, has a vocal anti-immigrant crowd. Anyone who looks different or speaks a "funny" language is liable to be segregated or ostracized as a "scary" outsider.

Fortunately, the voters are sometimes wiser than the noisy mob. Here's an recent example:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Nashville voters rejected a proposal on Thursday that would have made it the largest U.S. city to require that all government business be done in English.

With 100 percent of precincts reporting, unofficial results showed the "English First" proposal losing with about 57 percent of voters against it and 43 percent in favor.

2 comments:

Maria said...

Every time I see a proposed rule like this I cringe. I remember being in Europe and Turkey, not speaking the language at first-- wishing and praying for someone to speak English when I needed something urgently. In Germany, I was saved by my language skills at the city hall, but I don't know how I would have gotten my son's birth certificate if I didn't speak Germany.

Anonymous said...

Its so intresting blog thanks for sharing with us ,,
___________________
victor
HD Access for just $10 a month to your FAVORITE Channels!